Monday, August 19, 2013

Jacob's Widow

So in my last blog I promised you something totally different, and here it is. This is a piece I wrote many years ago, inspired by some little thing I saw on TV that grew into a sudden outpouring of this woman's story as if I was possessed by her ghost. God knows I was way too young to relate to her suffering and dreams, yet I felt every nuance of her story as if it was my own. I hope I managed to do her justice. You will be the judge.
 
 
       Jacob’s Widow
                                                                 
 I am yet
    a woman
My breasts mold softly, firmly
          to my chest
My hips flare under this
                   dust drenched dress
And sometimes, late in these
                              deserted nights
I dream
    and awake sighing
  to the curving of my flesh
 
 I am yet
    a woman
  although at times
            I do question this belief
    My hands knead dirt and dough
         with like determination as
      flour and dust mingle
        in stripes of warpaint on my face
 
    My children laugh
                 I laugh with them
  They are my will, my joy, my respite
 
 Jacob.
     What guise of fate met him on the trail
                            to Buffalo’s Gate
    3 years now, a mountain a piece
          I watched him ride away
                 through windhassled sheets of sleet     
 
   He was good
                     Jacob
       Salt of the earth, I whispered
          to the creases of his tanned neck
        when we lay close
                       as my mothers silver spoons
                                      in their velvet bed
 
 
                                     Jacob chuckled then                                                                                      always
   between deepening breaths of sleep
       and pulled my arms tighter
                  around his chest
          his breaths slow and deep
 
 He would have come back
               were he
                      alive
    with or without the bull and heifers
           around which we thought to ply our lives      
                     
        He was a good man
                and I
                     was a good wife
 
 At times I dream
     with my eyes open wide
  I dream of a man
              of his roughhewn hands
 
   Sometimes he wears a face
                 like Jacobs
      blond and broad and tanned
           and I -
                 am his good wife
 
 Sometimes he wears the face of a stranger
   slanted steelgray eyes resting
            in glittering danger
       over curving cheekbones
         in a countenance
                   marked, enhanced
             by the wilderness
       that surrounds us in our naked dance
 
  And I am no longer - Jacob’s good wife
 A dream alone, he is not, this stranger
 
     I saw him once
         spare and rawboned
                     astride his rustic pony
                              rolling a cigarette
          at the edge of a field, freshly sown
                   by which we passed
                           on our way
                                 to the unknown
                          A trembling passed through me                                                                          
       under his peruse
          I felt no longer
             fumbling
                towards
                     womanhood
         with innocence yet to lose
                                                     
I was there
    a womans heart pumped
         Venus blood
       through aching breasts and loins
 
  Then flushed my face with shame
             and internal strife
      for I  was newly
                    Jacob’s good wife
 
 I am yet a woman
   the young girl long outgrown
       as children outgrew
                             my womb
 
  Two now
          in the ground
     two still safe and sound
  they have Jacob’s good heart
              strong body and fair hair
          but in their faces,
     I claim the lion’s share
 
In the boy
      I see my father
   gentled by the innocence
                 of youth
 
   Yet firm as his
           in determination to be a man
                      fight nail and tooth
                             hand over hand
 
The girl-
        she is all mine, as I was
             before this ponderous demise
 
    Dark arching brows
       over almond hazel eyes
     aquiline nose
           fine and freckled by the sun
                smooth skin browned
                          around lips rich as ripe plums
 
                Her smile aches in my bones                                                                                      
       so sheer
                  and unlined
      A robustness there
              no longer reflected
                            in mine
 
 My sweat soaks this earth
           that feeds me
                  at a price
   I am still young
                             am I not?
 
 Jacob’s Widow
     the words stall, sour, in my throat
         startles me, urges me to flee
 
    Such antiquity
              they seem
                    to lay over me     
 
  At night  
      I walk under a stardusted sky
        it lifts above me
              farther and farther
     rising with the exultant cry
                        of my heart
 
  I watch with the wind
                 drawing grim tears
                      stinging my teeth
                            whipping my hair
Banishing the years
 
   I feel life
        well up in me
      like a woman stirring
                     from a deep sleep
             to her lovers touch
 
 I am yet a woman
     I remain unspayed
             by this unforgiving labour
   Alone though I am
         with my children and my soil
      This flesh slowly hardening on my bones
 
         And to Jacob
                this wilderness holds me
                        relentlessly loyal
 
               In the harsh night wind                                                                                         
    I sense the slanteyed  rider
         I tie wishes to tumbleweeds
            with bright ribbons of hope
  That he may find them in his travels
                   and know
                         I am waiting
                                    waiting
 
 For I am yet a woman
   awaiting plucking by hungry hands and mouth
       I hang full and ripe from this twisted vine
                that is my life
 
  And life flows, back and forth, surges
       between myself and this meter of  Time
    But in the whitewashed glare of day
             I feel the scales tip
                   and not
                        in my favour
 
         I watch my fullness shrivel
                 drying in the sun
            my lips pale and cracked
               where they, too, once
                        wore the richness of plums
 
   Such days, I sense with relief the
               falling of the night
        wherein I may reclaim, under it’s cover
                   it’s swelling sky and cruel winds
           that, around which in daylight
                         I dare only hover
 
 In  it’s void
        I am anywhere, anytime, anything
  I am woman
           all softly clinging shapes
                   of half and full moons
               aglow with the tingle of anticipation
                       of a lover expecting a lover soon
 
  I am no more
            Jacob’s good wife
 
 
     There is no Jacob to whom to be good
   I am Jacob’s widow
          and the dry, raspy loneliness
                     of those insipid words
                cover me like a tepid dust
                                                                                                        
from which I awake choking
                my dreams cracked and broken
                    my bones hard and poking
                under toughened skin
 
 I am Jacob’s Widow
           I am a woman yet
      Still, I awake sighing
                  to the curving
                         of my flesh.
 
P.S. A few lines objected to being copy/pasted and just won't quite behave themselves. My apologies!
   
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I really like this. Methinks there is a little of Jacobs widow in all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks you may be right, my dear PK :-)

    ReplyDelete