Saturday, May 24, 2014

Thirty years too early....

Usually, I think I was born a century or two too late. I wish myself back to the world before the industrial revolution, to a world more pristine if no gentler. A world before freeways and concrete blocks and monster trucks. Yes, I could live with some of the lack of modern day comforts if the trade off was a less paved planet.
 
I certainly never think I was born too early. A future of shiny steel and glass and machines and less and less land, forests, animals and birds holds no appeal for me. I hope I do not live to see it. My life is devoted to slowing down this so-called progress.
 
And yet, and yet. This boy gives me pause. If I went to his school of thought, how different might my life have been? My brain? My outlook? If children of the future go to his school of thought - Hacker School - might there not be hope for the future?
 
What do you think?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Very, very cool idea - if only it could be universal, but..... too many greedy, self important people out there to think that this might be a tangible possibility... For myself, I don't even know what age I would like to go back to: I have a sneaking suspicion that the 60's were the pinnacle of hope and freedom and I was lucky to be alive to experience it. Compared to my mother, grandmother and great grandmothers I could consider a life of wandering, traveling through the wilds with my horse, dog and nestling a cat on my lap as I rode through the dripping woods of England

    ReplyDelete